1st- 3rd week: The components of matter, physical and chemical properties of matter, states of matter and phase changes, the fundamental chemical laws and concepts, atomic theory and structure of atoms, types of chemical reactions, chemical equations, stoichiometry - different approaches
4th - 6th week: Gas laws, basic concepts of thermochemistry, quantum theory and atomic structure, electron configuration and chemical periodicity
7th - 10th week: Models of chemical bonding (ionic, covalent, metallic), the shapes of molecules (Lewis structures, VSEPR), theories of covalent bonding (valence bond, orbital hybridization, molecular orbital), electronegativity and bond polarity, intermolecular forces (hydrogen bond, states of mater), the relation of structure and bonding to the physical and chemical properties of matter
11th -15th week: Properties of solutions, basic concepts of chemical kinetics and equilibrium, equilibrium in solutions of acids and bases, electrochemistry, systematization of basic concepts of the course
1_ Organize knowledge into conceptual units.
2_ Formulate the problem based on the data and the set of conditions (stoichiometry).
3_ Explain the physical and chemical changes in terms of scientific concepts and principles.
4_ Explain the meaning of the chemical equation (qualitatively and quantitatively).
5_ Distinguish three basic types of chemical bonds (ionic, covalent and metallic).
6_ Predict and analyze the molecular structure and its properties.
7_ Explain at the particles level dissolving processes, and properties of the solutions.
8_ Explain the influence of various factors on the chemical equilibrium.
9_ Predict pH of aqueous solutions of certain substances.
10_ Explain the difference between galvanic and electrolytic cell.
- OBAVEZNA LITERATURA:
1. S. Silberberg, Chemistry, 6. izd., McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 2006.
2. R. Chang, Chemistry, 9. izd., McGraw-Hill, NewYork, 2006.
3. I. Filipović, S. Lipanović, Opća i anorganska kemija I i II dio, IX. izd. Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 1995.
4. M. Sikirica, Stehiometrija, XX. izd. Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2008.
- DOPUNSKA LITERATURA:
1. M. Sikirica, B. Korpar-Čolig, Praktikum iz opće kemije, II. izd. Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2003.
2. D. Grdenić: Molekule i kristali, Školska knjiga, Zagreb, 2005.
3. T. Cvitaš, I. Planinić, N. Kallay, Rješavanje računskih zadataka u kemiji, (interna skripta), Hrvatsko kemijsko društvo, Zagreb, 2010.