COURSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES: The course aims to provide students - informatics/computer science teachers with necessary knowledge and skills for effective planning, management, delivering, and reflecting computer science lessons at middle and secondary school level, as well as prepare them for lifelong learning in the field of information-communication technologies (ICTs).
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND SYLLABUS:
The course contains lectures, tutorials, and seminars. Theoretical part (lectures) focuses on the basics of computer science teaching and learning. Students - prospective teachers will become familiar with the ICT curriculum for middle and secondary schools (all levels of planning and programming). In tutorials, acquired theoretical knowledge will be applied to selected examples - topics from school curriculum, through various forms of instruction and working methods (individual study, hands - on activities, pair work, group work, team - collaborative work, project work). Practical work takes place in computer classroom connected to Internet and equipped with multimedia and presentation equipment. Seminars consist of students' group or individual oral presentations of assigned topics, followed up by group discussions.
The headlines of the course are:
1. Information-Communication Technology (ICT). Concept, characteristics and development of ICT. Scientific aspects of ICT: theoretical computer science as a fundamental mathematical discipline as well as technical computing science, information science as social science, ICT as an important tool of all scientific fields. ICT as an activity: ICT as a profession, the use of ICT in all spheres of human activity. ICT terminology: the problem of standardizing ICT terminology in Croatia. ICT in education: education in the field of ICT, the use of ICT in education from other fields, the need for lifelong learning in the field of ICT.
2. Education in the field of ICT. Concepts of computer, digital and information literacy. Educational standards in the field of ICT. International standards for information literacy: European Computer Driving License (ECDL) and International Computer Driving License (ICDL). ICT in the education system in Croatia.
3. Didactics of education in the field of ICT. Methods of teaching computer science and its role in the education of future teachers. Methodology of teaching skills as well as a multidisciplinary scientific field. Specificity of methods of teaching computer science in relation to the methodology of other fields of education.
4. Informatics/computer science in middle and secondary education in Croatia. The history of introducing information technology into the curriculum of Croatian middle and secondary education. The current status of informatics/computer science as a required subject and elective activity in middle and secondary school. Equipping computer classroom. Educational software.
5. Aim and tasks. The goal of teaching computer science: general purpose and special objectives for each stage of education. The three basic components of computer science education: knowledge of basic ICT concepts (time invariant - a prerequisite for lifelong learning), development of ICT skills using the available hardware and software, development of problem solving skills using ICT. The tasks of teaching computer science: material, functional and educational.
6. Reasoning methods in computer science teaching. Method of analysis and synthesis (especially in programming). Method of analogy (especially during practical work in computer classroom). Method of generalization and specialization. Method of abstraction and concretization.
7. Selected topics. Presentation of various didactical approaches to selected topics, followed up by group discussions.
8. Drawing using computer. Software tools for drawing. Software tools for drawing designed for children. Resolution.
9. Logo programming language. Turtle basics. Procedures. Loops. Variables. Composition of functions - complex procedures. Decisions. Recursion. Lists. Coordinate graphics. Sequences. Working with multiple turtles.
- *: Odobreni udžbenici iz informatike/računarstva za osnovnu i srednje škole
- I. Kniewald: Logo 4.0, programski jezik
- I. Kniewald: Terrapin Logo
- *: Predmetni kurikul
- L. Budin, P. Brođanac, Z. Markučić, S. Perić: Rješavanje problema programiranjem u Pythonu
- L. Budin, P. Brođanac, Z. Markučić, S. Perić, D. Škvorc, M. Babić: Računalno razmišljanje i programiranje u Pythonu
- F. Glavan: MSWLogo, Početnica naprednog programiranja
- A. Tucker, F. Deck, J. Jones, D. McCowan, C. Stephenson, A.Verno: A Model Curriculum for K - 12 Computer Science: Final Report of the ACM K - 12 Education Task Force Curriculum Committee
- Jensen, Eric: Super nastava