Primary goal is to gain competencies in applying theoretical dynamic meteorology concepts in the analysis of the current state of the atmosphere and the forecast of the future processes. During lectures and practical exercises the students will be taught about different procedures of meteorological measurements and observations, visualization of the observations using meteorological symbols and practical use of different measurement and observation data in the analysis of the current state of the atmosphere. The students will be familiarized with numerical weather prediction models and taught how to use the model results in practical short and medium range
Meteorological symbols, measurements and observations. The use of remote sensing. Initial and boundary conditions for numerical prediction models; initialization. Some numerical model schemes and errors. Atmospheric predictability and prognostic models. Practical aspects of mountain, coastal and urban meteorology. Elements of short- and medium-range forecasting.
It is expected that after the completion of this course the students will be able to:
1. Describe the principles of meteorological measurements and observations,
2. Measure and observe basic meteorological parameters,
3. Read and draw meteorological symbols,
4. Analyze surface and upper-level measurement data,
5. Explain remote sensing methods and principles,
6. Interpret and practically apply different satellite data and products,
7. Explain and apply radar data,
8. Analyze the current state of the atmosphere using all available data types,
9. Describe the principles, limitations and possible errors of NWP models,
10. Demonstrate practical short and medium range weather forecast on real-time
data and NWP model results.
Studying literature, listening to presentations, solving homework, discussion of the results of homework tasks, practical work.
Lectures, exercises, referring students to independently study the literature, individual presentations, individual solving of problem tasks.
METHODS OF MONITORING AND VERIFICATION:
Students are required to regularly attend classes and do their homework. Additionally, it is necessary to monitor and discus the current synoptic situation. The work of the students is monitored and evaluated during the course (completion of homework assignments and additional assignments) and at the final written exam.
TERMS FOR RECEIVING THE SIGNATURE:
Successfully solved all the homework during the semester, measurements and observations at meteorological station Horvatovac, presentation and interpretation of the data.
The written exam consists of questions that require a short answer and problem solving.