COURSE AIMS AND OBJECTIVES: Acquisition of general knowledge in the area of psychopathological behaviour. The above-mentioned forms of deviation from what is considered to be normal behaviour and are observed in educational practice. An important element of this course is the synchronization of topics and content with the official classification of the psychopathology of behaviour that is valid in the Republic of Croatia.
COURSE DESCRIPTION AND SYLLABUS:
1. Course introduction: Determining psychopathology in childhood and adolescence according to the MKB-10 and DSM-IV systems of classification; historical approaches to the problem; current theories and discussions on the roles of hereditary and environmental factors in the onset of the disorder.
2. Mental retardation: Classification of mental retardation, genetic and environmental causes of developing mental deficiency, achievements in learning and possible training for living independently, that is, welfare and care for intellectually deficient persons, taking into consideration the categories of mental insufficiency.
3. Learning disorders: General prerequisites for diagnosing disorders, reading disorder, disorders in mathematical abilities disorder, writing disorder. Symptomatology, identification/diagnosis, prevalence, line of development, help and therapeutic interventions.
4. Communication disorders: Speech disorder, phonological disorder, stuttering. Criteria for identifying/diagnosing, prevalence, line of development, help and therapeutic interventions.
5. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - AD/HD: Symptoms, identification/diagnosis, theoretical discussions on the causes of disorders, general prevalence and differences with respect to gender, concentration exercises, psychotherapeutic and medical treatment, that is, Ritalin treatment, general learning difficulties.
6. Behaviour disorder - defiance and opposition: Symptoms, identification/diagnosis, theories on the onset of a disorder, prevalence and differences with respect to gender, psychotherapeutic contributions and help, possible line of development and developmental outcomes. Behaviour disorders as a prerequisite for diagnosing antisocial personality disorder.
7. Developmental risks in adolescence: Eating disorders, bulimia, anorexia, substance abuse and development of addiction/smoking, alcohol, drugs/. Risks from homosexual identity.
8. Anxiety in children and youth: Anxiety as a state and a personality characteristic, fears and phobias, school phobia, the separation syndrome, excessive self-control and obsessive-compulsive behaviour, anxiety in the structure of later personality disorders.
9. Depression and depressive states in children and youth: Depression and tendency for depressive reactions, causality, prevalence and differences with respect to gender, childhood and adolescent suicide.
10. Schizophrenia in school aged children and adolescence: Illness structure, appearance and diagnosis, the role of hereditary factors, prevalence and differences with respect to gender, treatment and prognosis for successful treatment, recommendations for the selecting a profession, that is, limitations in the area of employment.
11. Physical illness and brain damage: All types of physical handicap, their statistical look minimal cerebral dysfunction; preserving the intellect of handicapped, counselling in selecting a profession and area of employment.
12. Stress in children and youth: Psychological theory of stress, comparison with the physiological approach to stress, stressors, outcomes of stressful situations. Important stressors in children and youth, divorce of parents, illness and death of family members, failure in school, changes in puberty, separation, social isolation, etc. The concept of post-traumatic stress disorder.
13. Problems of violence towards children and youth: Physical and psychological violence, alcoholism and criminal behaviour of parents, socially high-risk families, generational transfer/pattern of abuse, sexual abuse on children and youth, identification, help and recommendations for preventing sexual abuse.
14. Psychotherapeutic methods and techniques and medical treatment: An overview of psychotherapeutic methods, differentiating socially verified from alternative approaches, risk of quacks esotericism and "new age", explanations on the application of medication when necessary.
15. Personality disorders: A concise overview of the 10 personality disorders that occur at the onset of the adult life. General prerequisites for diagnosing personality disorders, criteria for certain disorders, prevalence and differences with respect to gender, the hereditary factor and the environment, notes on psychotherapeutic procedures.
- Američka psihijatrijska udruga: Dijagnostički i statistički priručnik za duševne poremećaje, 4. izdanje - međunarodna verzija
- Ch. Wenar: Razvojna psihopatologija i psihijatrija
- N. Ambrosi - Randić: Razvoj poremećaja hranjenja
- A. Brajša: Dijete i obitelj, Emocionalni i socijalni razvoj
- M. Duran: Dijete i igra, 3. izdanje
- J. E. Edgerton, R. J. Campbell (ur.): Psihijatrijski rječnik, 2. hrvatsko izdanje
- F. P. Glascoe: Suradnja s roditeljima. Upotreba roditeljske procjene dječjeg razvojnog statusa u otkrivanju razvojnih problema i problema ponašanja te bavljenja tim problemima
- G. Keresteš: Dječje agresivno i prosocijalno ponašanje u kontekstu rata
- D. Kocijan - Hercigonja, G. Buljan - Flander, D. Vučković: Hiperaktivno dijete. Uznemireni roditelji i odgajatelji, 4. izdanje
- K. Lacković - Grgin: Stres u djece i adolescenata
- R. S. Lazarus, S. Folkman: Stres, procjena i suočavanje
- N. Pećnik: Međugeneracijski prijenos zlostavljanja djece
- P. Zarevski, M. Mamula: Pobijedite sramežljivost, a djecu cijepite protiv nje, 2. izdanje