* Load is given in academic hour (1 academic hour = 45 minutes)
COURSE GOALS: The mail goal is to enable students to independently use instruments and equipment for simple measurements according to tasks and instructions; demonstrate understanding of physical foundations of the exercise and explain measurements and results; analyze data and interpret the results using statistical methods and appropriate computer software.
LEARNING OUTCOMES AT THE LEVEL OF THE PROGRAMME:
1. Knowledge and understanding
1.1. demonstrate a thorough knowledge and understanding of the fundamental laws of classical and modern physics
1.5. demonstrate knowledge and understanding of basic experimental methods, instruments and methods of experimental data processing in physics
2. Applying knowledge and understanding
2.1. identify and describe important aspects of a particular physical phenomenon or problem;
2.3. recognize and follow the logic of arguments, evaluate the adequacy of arguments and construct well supported arguments;
3. Making judgments
3.1. develop a critical scientific attitude towards research in general, and in particular by learning to critically evaluate arguments, assumptions, abstract concepts and data;
4. Communication skills
4.1. communicate effectively with pupils and colleagues
4.2. present complex ideas clearly and concisely
4.3. present their own research results at education or scientific meetings
4.4. use the written and oral English language communication skills that are essential for pursuing a career in physics and education;
LEARNING OUTCOMES SPECIFIC FOR THE COURSE:
Students will be able to:
1. Independently use instruments and equipment for simple measurements according to tasks and instructions.
2. Link theoretical knowledge and physical measurements and experimental setup.
3. Analyze data and interpret the results using statistical methods and appropriate computer software.
4. Present and explain the results.
Student chooses 6 exercises:
* Determination of surface tension (8 hrs)
* Viscosity measurements of liquid (8 hrs)
* Determination of density of liquid (8 hrs)
* Ideal gas state (8 hrs)
* Lenses and optical instruments (8 hrs)
* Velocity of light (8 hrs)
* Light interference and light diffraction (8 hrs)
REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS:
* Preparation and execution of six exercises.
* Report on the measurements and results after each exercise.
* Demonstrate understanding of physical foundations of the exercise and explain measurements and results (oral mid-exam after each exercise).
GRADING AND ASSESSING THE WORK OF STUDENTS:
Preparation and execution of six exercises. Report on the measurements and results after each exercise. All exercises and reports have to be done. Each exercise is given a mark (exam + performance + report) and the average value is the final score.
- Predavanja iz Osnova fizike
Young and Freedman ˝ University Physics˝ , 12th edition Addison Wesley
Nastavni materijali za praktikum na web-u (www.phy.hr/~gorjana)
Physics Laboratory 1
Fundamentals of Physics 3