1) Justify the use of animal models in scientific research
2) Discuss the ethical and moral aspects of working with animal models
3) Assess the advantages and disadvantages of different animal models in specific scientific research
4) Choose the correct way of laboratory maintenance of a particular animal model
5) Assess the impact of external and internal factors on the results of research with laboratory animals
6) Assess the condition (welfare) of the animals used in research, with special emphasis on recognizing pain and discomfort in animals.
7) Understand the theoretical basis of the tasks given to student, with special emphasis to animals` welfare and insurances of relevant scientific results.
8) Handle laboratory animals and the necessary techniques for working with animals
9) Apply European and national laws and recommendations for the implementation of experimental and / or other scientific procedures on animals
1) Introduction to Laboratory animals: beginnings of research on experimental animals, ideal laboratory animal model, basics of keeping animals in the laboratory
2) Animal maintenance in the laboratory: abiotic and biotic factors in housing laboratory animals
3) Most common laboratory animals: An overview through the most common species of laboratory animals in scientific research
4) Rodents: Fundamentals of biology and evolution of rodents as the most common group of laboratory animals
5) Handling laboratory animals: Non-invasive methods of working with laboratory animals
6) Techniques of administration of substances, anaesthesia, analgesia and euthanasia: Invasive methods of working with laboratory animals.
7) The necessity of using experimental animals: The importance of research on laboratory animals through examples
8) Mouse as an experimental model: Strains of laboratory mice, strain characteristics and strain formation
9) Laboratory rat: Laboratory rat strains, strain characteristics and strain formation
10) Overview of existing experimental models
11) Behaviour: Behavioural research and behaviour tests in scientific research on laboratory animal models
12) Laboratory animal diseases: Basics of laboratory animal diseases, major diseases
13) Animal health in experiments: Keeping animals healthy in laboratories, the impact of animal health on research results
14) Ethics: Animal welfare, moral and ethical dilemmas when working with laboratory animals
15) Legislation, regulations and competent services
16) Safety in working with laboratory animals
17) Animal welfare and experimental and human end of the experiment
18) Good laboratory practice in working with animals
19) Alternatives to animal use
1) Development of a standard operating procedure (SOP) for working with laboratory animals
2) Planning and design of experiments with laboratory animals
3) Animal health monitoring
1) Laboratory mouse: presentation of work and work skills on a mouse animal model: maintenance, relocation, restraint, general non-invasive and invasive methods, administration techniques, anaesthesia, analgesia, euthanasia and dissection.
2) Laboratory rat: presentation of work and work skills on the rat animal model: maintenance, relocation, restraint, general non-invasive and invasive methods, substance administration techniques, anaesthesia, analgesia, euthanasia and dissection.
3) Zebra fish: presentation of work and work skills on the zebra fish model
4) Behavioural research: Standardized and improvised methods of studying behaviour on various animal models
- Svi predavači predmeta: Predavanja u pdf formatu na web stranici BO
- Jann Hau, Steven J. Schapiro: (2010) Handbook of Laboratory Animal Science, Volume I, Third Edition: Essential Principles and Practices. CRC Press, USA
- L.R. Arrington: Introductory laboratory animal science, The Interstate, Danville, Illinois, 1972
- George J. Krinke: The Laboratory Rat (Handbook of Experimental Animals). Academic Press, London, UK
- Hans Hedrich: (2004) The Laboratory Mouse (Handbook of Experimental Animals). Elsevier Academic Press, Oxford, UK
- M. Radačić, I. Bašić i D. Eljuga: Pokusni modeli u biomedicini, Medicinska naklada, Zagreb, 2000