Learning outcomes expected at the level of the course:
-to explain the territorial shaping of Croatia and its borders
-to evaluate geographic position and size of Croatia in comparison with seleted European and non-European countries
-to apply the knowledge of the basic courses in explaining the meaning of the natural environment in the settling and life organization in Croatia
-to analyze the development of settlements in Croatia
-to explain the processes of industrialization, de-agrarization and urbanization in Croatia and compare it with the same processes in the world
-to evaluate the characteristics and changes in the development of urban and transport systems in Croatia
-to apply the methods and principles of regionalization in Croatia
-to explain the polarization in the regional development od Croatia
-to identify the problem areas in Croatia and measures for their sustainable development
-to explain the border regions development and evaluate the role of Croatia in the globalization process
General knowledge of Croatia and its regions; understanding of the modern processes and their influence on the Croatia's development; knowing Croatia in wider regional and European context. Students have to be able to interpret and discuss relevant and actual geographic problems and processes in Croatia.
1. Size, borders and territorial shaping of Croatia.
2. Physical-geographic characteristics of Croatia. Natural environment as a factor of settling and life organization in Croatia
3. Historical-geographic development. The development of settlements in Croatia and its regions.
4. Demographic characteristics of Croatia. Population structures.
5. Social-geographic factors of the development. Development and characteristics of Croatia's economy.
6. Industrialization, de-agrarization and urbanization. Urban and transport systems of Croatia.
7. Polarization and uneven regional development of Croatia. Core-periphery concept. Development axes.
8. Regional structure of Croatia. Physiognomic, nodal-functional and planned regions of Croatia.
9. Problem areas. Border regions.
10. Central Croatia. Structure, characteristics, specifics.
11. Eastern Croatia. Structure, characteristics, specifics.
12. Hilly-mountaineous Croatia. Structure, characteristics, specifics.
13. Northern Croatian coastland. Structure, characteristics, specifics.
14. Southern Croatian coastland (Dalmatia). Structure, characteristics, specifics.
15. Position and meaning of Croatia regarding Europe. Croatia and global development.