HAILMETER INSTALLATION AND HANDLING AT METEOROLOGICAL AND OTHER STATIONS
The hailmeter is a simple instrument for registration and measurement of hail at the ground, and it consists of a stand and a measuring plate (0.25 m x 0.25 m x 0.02 m). The material of the plate, on one hand, should be soft so that the grains can be beaten by the impact in the plate on it, leaving a trace on it, and on the other hand it should be resistant to the effects of various external influences.
PROCEDURE AND HANDLING THE HAILMETER
By coming to the station, the observer puts the stand in a rack so that the side mark on the plate is visible and the colored (white) side facing up. When placing and removing the stand, one should be careful not to damage the upper surface.
Figure 1.a Hailmeter (stand & board). Figure 1.b Haillfall traces on the board.
If hailfall event occurs it is necessary to do the following:
- Record the time of start and end of hailfall (form T1)
- After the fall of the fall, replace the measuring plate with a new one (hail may fall several times on the same day).
- On the back of the used board the following data should be written:
b) Number of the hailmeter
c) Falling time (from - to). The fall time of the beetle is recorded on form T1 and on the back of the damaged plate.
- Store the board carefully at the station, not to damage further the upper surface with recorded hailfall traces
- Report on the hailfall event at the station and hand over the board to the leader
- Call the Hydrological and Meteorological Service of Republic of Croatia (DHMZ) - collection center: 01 4565 614 or Mr. Tomislav Plavša: 098 900 3029
You can find the report form on the haillfall event (T1) here (in Croatian).